Brexit = Customsformalities

BREXIT D-DAY IS COMING: 31-12-2020 / 01-01-2021

After years of negotiations between the EU and the UK, it is still not 100% sure how the EU and the UK will separate.

So with or without a deal… a soft or hard Brexit…. Still unclear, but it is certain that they will split up and that will happen at the end of this year.

The United Kingdom is becoming what we call a “third country”. A country outside the EU and outside the customs territory of the EU.

So are you ready for Brexit yet?

Do you trade between the EU and the UK?

Do you know which customs formalities must take place to ensure a smooth crossing?

What are the consequences of Brexit on the sales or purchases I make? Do I have to make other arrangements with my supplier or buyer in the context of the responsibility of making the export declaration and import declaration? In other words: do I have to adjust my delivery conditions (Incoterms) from 01-01-2021?

If you would like to know more about this, I advise you to contact us via the contact form.

Frequently asked questions

Do you also offer tax representation for imports?

Yes, we certainly offer tax representation for imports. Fiscal representation is used when an importer is not established in the Netherlands. Normally, this importer must then pay VAT on import, however if we, 24/7 Customs, act as Limited Fiscal Representative for the importer, we transfer the VAT administratively to the buyer of the goods and the VAT does not have to be paid immediately upon import. This therefore provides an enormous liquidity advantage for the importer.

If you would like to know more about this, please feel free to contact us to explain further.

Can you also provide customs documents in Belgium?

Yes, we work very closely with a reliable partner in Zeebrugge.

If you would like to know more about this, please feel free to contact us to explain further.

I am selling goods that are about to leave the EU. Am I responsible for the export document?

Whether you are responsible for drawing up an export document when you sell goods that are going to leave the EU depends on the agreements you make with the buyer. These are the terms of delivery or also known as the incoterms. Depending on what you agree, you may or may not be responsible for the layout of the output document. Think carefully about this because there are major financial interests involved: If you sell goods and the destination is outside the EU, then you sell them with the “0”% VAT rate. In order to be able to demonstrate to the tax authorities that the goods have actually left the EU, you need an export declaration that has been “deregistered” or has received “confirmation of exit”. If you cannot conclusively prove that the goods have left the EU, the tax authorities will recover the VAT from you. On the link below of the Chamber of Commerce you can find the various delivery conditions and the explanation.

If you would like to discuss your specific situation with us, please feel free to contact us.

You are AEO certified. What does that actually mean?

We are very proud that we have earned and received the AEO (Authorized Economic Operator) certificate from Customs. This means that Customs has appointed us as a reliable and honest customs broker who may make use of certain simplifications that also benefit our customers. An important advantage here is that, according to Customs, fewer checks are issued.

If you have any specific questions about this, please feel free to contact us.

We want to import goods from outside the EU. Can you help us with the correct commodity code and requirements?

If you want to import goods from outside the EU, it is advisable to first carefully investigate what requirements there are to import these goods and, not unimportantly, whether certain duties must be paid upon import. It is possible to look this up yourself or the link below from Customs:!/taric/nomenclature/sbn?sd=17-11-2020&d=I&cc=&l=nl&ql=nl&ea=false

However, if this seems a bit too complicated for you, you can also submit the questions to us via the contact form.

Your name is 24/7 Customs BV; does this mean that you are actually in the office 24/7 to file tax returns?

No that is fortunately not the case. Our declarants also deserve their rest :). What it does mean is that we are available 24/7 by phone for emergencies. So if you have forgotten to send an assignment within normal office hours but that assignment still needs to be carried out in the evening or at the weekend, you can call our general telephone number + 31-180-727811 and we will talk to you and have a look. we will see if we can solve it.

Contact us